This document for entering the general ledger opening balances.
For this procedure all workstations must be logged out of the system.
Note: The Enter key will move the cursor from the debit to credit column and then down to the next GL account. The Up Arrow Key will allow the user to maneuver back to an account that was passed.
C (Change): This gives the ability to enter a specific GL account, which will bring up the screen containing this account. In the screen, the requested account will appear as the first account. Note: Enter the Branch Number, Department Number, and then the GL Account Number.
R (Revise): This will move the cursor to the debit column for the first GL account on the screen.
B (Back) : The previous screen will be displayed.
N (Next): The next screen will be displayed, a continuation of the GL accounts.
Z (Zero): This will zero out any figures that have been entered.
P (Print): This allows the GL opening balances to be printed.
E (End): To end and save the data.
- From the GL Opening Balance Menu, select #1: Enter Opening Balances.
- Choose P (Print) for the list of opening balances.
- Select #2: Run Balance Sheet (Run report and print).
- Choose #3: Run Income Statement (Run report and print).
Out of Balance
- Review all figures entered to check for a transposed number or if a figure was placed in the wrong column. Note: It is easier to check if the list is printed.
- If the error cannot be located, enter the figure for the difference in the last account of the list (this is temporary) and keep note of the GL account number.
- Select E to End, twice, and then choose 5: Chart of Accounts Maintenance.
- Choose Enter/Revise Chart of Accounts. Then add another GL account as an offset for the opening balance difference, e.g., 2999 Go Live Balance Difference.
- From the Initial TAM Setup Menu, select 6: Enter GL Account Opening Balances and 1: Enter Opening Balances.
- Enter the figure for the difference in the appropriate column (debit or credit) for the offset account you just created.
- Go to the account where the difference was entered in earlier and change the figure to 0. The accountant will review the offset account and advise what is to be done with the balance in that account, usually at year-end.
- Select E to end. Everything should be in balance. Follow the In Balance steps and complete the three reports.
Last Revised: February 19, 2008 02:00 PM